“Molnár István” museum

The museum has several sections: one etnographic, one historical-archeological, one of natural science and one photographical . Read more

Opening times: 
(winter) mon-fri 8-13. (summer) mon-fri 8-13; sat 10-16

DSC_0473_edited
28537617_10216150751151123_1800832144_n

keresztúr's cross

On the hills surrounding Cristuru Secuiesc stands a large white cross. The name of the town, Cristuru Secuiesc in Romanian and Székelykeresztúr in Hungarian, literally means “Cross of the Székely”. Its Catholic church was in fact built in honor of the Holy Cross and a local legend associates the construction of the cross on the hill with a miraculous apparition of Jesus.

Sándor Petőfi memorial

The town holds the memorial of the hungarian poet and it’s managed by the museum “Molnár István”, inside the hystorical “Gyárfás Mansion”, that can be visited by appointment. The garden is open to visitors from 8 to 22. 

Read more

DSC_0372_edited

Statues

Nicolae Bălcescu

This bronze statue was made by the sculptor, painter, ceramist and university professor Mircea Corneliu Spătaru in 1971.
The sculpture represents Nicolae Bălcescu, historian, journalist and Romanian revolutionary, leader of the 1848 Wallachian Revolution. Born on 29th June 1819 in Bucharest and died on 29th November 1852 in Palermo from tuberculosis, he had a full life, fighting to promote his nationalist ideals.
His forerunner figure in the creation of Modern Romania was used in the Communist era, and in the 1948, 100th anniversary of the Wallachian Revolution, numerous streets, tram stations and high schools were named after him.

Petőfi Sándor

This bronze statue was created in 1971 by the Transylvanian sculptor Márkos András. He started the preliminary studies for a realistic full-scale statue in 1948 and firstly built a bronze bust (now positioned in the courtyard in the elementary school named after the poet) before finishing the full-length statue.
Sándor Petőfi was a Hungarian poet and liberal revolutionary, considered Hungary’s national poet and one of the key figures of the Hungarian Revolution of 1848. He fighted for the total independence of Hungary from the Austrian Empire. He’s said to have spent his last night in Cristuru Secuiesc and he died in 1849 in the battle of Segesvár (now Sighișoara).

Székely woman

This stone statue is located in Piața Libertății. It figures no name, but it represents a young woman with a sieve.
The sieve was the symbol of the old name of Székelykeresztúr (Cristuru Secuiesc’s Hungarian name) that in the past was Szitakeresztúr. “Szita” is the Hungarian word for sieve. Inhabitants’ main trade was indeed the production of this tool: they plotted the cloth with horsehair and then they installed it on the loom.
Moreover, the girl is represented with a typical Székler dress: a two piece outer garment that consist of a large skirt, a vest and a white linen skirt.

Attila József

He was born on 11 April 1905 in Budapest, he lived tormentingly and died on 3 December 1937 in Balatonszárszó at the age of 32. His poems represent the appeals of the oppressed ones all over the world.
The statue is located in the West side of Piața Libertății. The work was realized in 2005 by the sculptor Zavaczki Walter Levente.
On the date of Attila József’s birth, the Hungarian poetry day is celebrated in Cristuru Secuiesc and there are events in the town square and in the near Culture House.

Churches

Catholic

The Catholic church in Cristuru Secuiesc is a building that exists at least since 1333, when the first written document about it appears. It talks about a donation that the priest would have done to the Vatican Treasury. It was a remarkable donation and so it’s a proof that this settlement was the biggest in the area.
Later, from the 16th century, the Unitarian and Reformed communities were using the building for celebrations, until the 1767, year in which a regal decree gave it back to the Catholics. Nowadays the basilica has only been partially reconstructed from the original design of the 14th century. The church maintains the look of the 15th century, when they completed the sanctuary. On the northern wall there’s still a fresco with a scene from the Book of Apocalipse: a woman riding a dragon and spreading sins from the cup of anger. On the triumphal arch there’s a fresco representing a bishop with a crown and a shepherd sticks.
Nowadays the Catholic community counts about 1200 believers, the 15% of the population. Tourists can visit the church during masses on Sunday at 9:30AM and 11AM.

 

Unitarian

In the 16th century the Unitarian Congregation of Cristuru Secuiesc used to hold services in the pre-existing Roman Catholic Church building, jointly with the members of the Reformed Church of Hungary. Following the persecutions of the counter-reformation, the church was taken away and the number of members of the congregation, forced to hold services in private houses, drastically decreased.
The construction of the new Unitarian church building, which mixes elements of the baroque and neoclassic styles, began in 1782 and ended in 1793. The small chapel was later extended to include the bell tower, the corridors and the balcony for the organ (19th century). The original bells were melted during World War I and replaced in 1921. The ceiling panels and benches were decorated with the traditional floral motives of the area in 1982. 
You can reach the church on foot from the town center and visit it from Monday to Friday, from 8 to 14, by contacting the minister’s office. The Sunday service is held at 11. The neighborhood is a protected one and the adiacent Unitarian school building is listed as a national monument. The Unitarian Congregation of Cristuru Secuiesc also runs the Tolerancia Hostel.

 

Reformed

The first evidence of the Reformed Community in the area dates back to 1566, when the local Catholic Church was their place of worship. In 1642 a separate Church was built a few minutes far from Cristuru Secuiesc city centre, on the main road. Due to an earthquake, the building became unusable and was replaced by the current Church in 1834.
The bell tower was doubled in height in 1908 and it appears tilted because of the presence of water under the ground of the Church. Several interventions were required to try to avoid the tilt of the tower. The last one was in 2001, when they discovered graves belonging to the first Church.
Nowadays the Community counts almost 3400 members. The main Church services are celebrated on Sunday at 11am and on Wednesday at 6pm. Every Sunday at 6:30pm, Bible lessons are available for young people.The Church is open only during services.

Orthodox